Home Boris ‘to force Manchester into harshest lockdown today’ after it rejected tier...
Array

Boris ‘to force Manchester into harshest lockdown today’ after it rejected tier three

- Advertisement -
Boris Johnson is set to plunge Manchester into tier three lockdown despite Andy Burnham's calls for financial backing.
The prime minister is set to push forward with his agenda despite Mayor Andy Burnham threatening legal action (Picture: EPA/Getty/PA)

Boris Johnson is reportedly set to ignore a ministerial rebellion by plunging Greater Manchester into a tier three lockdown today.

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham yesterday accused the Government of trying make to make his region the ‘sacrificial lamb’ by imposing the strictest measures without enough financial support.

Despite the mayor threatening legal action over the experimental measures being ‘carried out on the cheap’, it is understood the prime minister is set to put the region into the ‘very high’ risk category with or without Burnham’s approval today, the Daily Telegraph reports.

This would mean Greater Manchester would join the Liverpool City Region – so far the only area under the toughest measures – in tier three, with all pubs and bars forced to close.

Advertisement

Advertisement

It is understood leaders in Lancashire are also close to siding with the PM to move the region up to a tier three category.

Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live

The move comes despite senior Tories siding with Burnham over the measures, with northern leaders calling for the chancellor to restore the furlough scheme in full to support businesses that are forced to close.

The region could be plunged into a tier three lockdown today (Picture: Getty)
Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham speaking to the media outside the Central Library in Manchester, he has threatened legal action if Tier 3 restrictions are imposed without agreement. PA Photo. Picture date: Thursday October 15, 2020. The Government has been pushing for the region?s politicians to accept Tier 3 measures which would include the closure of pubs and bars unless they could operate as restaurants. But MPs and council chiefs lined up to criticise the plan and the way it has been handled by Number 10 and the Department of Health and Social Care, with no decision yet announced on whether the city will face the top tier measures. See PA story HEALTH Coronavirus Manchester. Photo credit should read: Martin Rickett/PA Wire
Burnham said Greater Manchester is being treated as a ‘sacrificial lamb’ for experimental measures (Picture: PA)

But one Government source told the paper that extra financial backing is ‘not happening,’ adding: ‘They are using this as an opportunity to leverage some more cash out of us bit it won’t work. We are not going to move on this.’

In an impassioned press conference yesterday, Burnham accused the Government of treating the North ‘with contempt’ and said there was no scientific evidence that the three-tier strategy would work.

The Labour politician said the deputy chief medical officer for England, Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, had told regional leaders only a nationwide lockdown was guaranteed to have an impact on spiralling infection rates.

Professor Jeremy Farrar, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said the current base level of restrictions were the ‘worst of all worlds’ as they inflicted economic damage while not going far enough to suppress the virus.

Burnham said on Thursday: ‘We have to protect the health of the nation but let’s do it as one nation, and not make the North of England the sacrificial lamb for an ill-thought-through Downing Street policy which doesn’t make sense in the real world.’

We are introducing a three tiered system of local COVID Alert Levels in England. For more information and to find out which alert level applies in your area go to: gov.uk/guidance/local?
The measures would see all pubs and bars closed (Picture: No 10)

‘Greater Manchester will stand firm. We are fighting back for fairness,’ he added.

The health secretary called for party politics to be ‘set aside’ in order to agree measures that could control the virus, but a string of Tory MPs came out to rebel against the prime minister and his senior ministers.

Former minister Steve Baker said there was even growing concern among the ministerial ranks about the Government’s handling of the crisis.

He said it was the prime minister, Matt Hancock and Michael Gove who were the only ones driving the current local lockdown approach.

Baker told international press: ‘Out of 365 Tory members of parliament, I would think that probably about 350 or more are opposed to this strategy.

Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak.
According to one Tory minister, only the PM, Matt Hancock and Michael Gove support the local lockdown approach (Picture: Simon Walker/HM Treasury)

‘This is by no means a libertarian insurrection. I can tell you that, in private, many ministers are egging on the rebels.’

Advertisement

Advertisement

Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the influential 1922 Committee of backbench Tories, said it would be ‘very foolish’ for Greater Manchester to move into tier three.

The Altrincham and Sale West MP told Times Radio: ‘We have a very clear demonstration at the moment that if you have no support amongst members of parliament, no support from the council leaders, and opposition from the Mayor as well, there clearly isn’t the broad consent for this measure that would be needed.

‘And I think it would be a very foolish thing to do.’

It comes as there is growing pressure for the Government to impose a two-week circuit breaker lockdown, which experts said should have been introduced last month.

The director of the Wellcome Trust told the BBC’s Newscast podcast the temporary nationwide measures should have been introduced weeks ago and urged ministers to ‘act’ as soon as possible.

His comments come as half the population of England, 26.7 million people, will be put under stricter lockdown measures from Saturday.

London will move into tier two from midnight, banning people from separate households mixing indoors – including in pubs and restaurants.

Essex, Elmbridge, Barrow-in-Furness, York, North East Derbyshire, Erewash and Chesterfield will also move into the second tier of measures.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Advertisement

Advertisement

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Celebs Go Dating to return in Celebrity Big Brother-style format with stars filmed isolating together

FANS still mourning the loss of Big Brother are in for a treat when the next series of Celebs Go Dating returns.That’s because it...
- Advertisement -

Mugger stole phone from dying jogger, 64, as she tried to call for help after heart attack

A mugger stole a dying jogger’s phone after she collapsed and tried to call for help while running close to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St Louis, Missouri, on Sunday (Picture: Google) A mugger stole a dying 64 year-old jogger’s phone as she tried to call for help. The unidentified woman was robbed after having a heart attack and falling while running near the Anheuser-Busch Brewery St Louis, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon. Harrowing surveillance footage showed her roll onto her back, then try to sit up to use her phone. She managed to stand up – only to fall headfirst onto the ground again. Moments later, a red Dodge Caravan van pulled up beside the woman and a man got out. St Louis Police Department said its driver got out and picked up the woman’s phone. He then got back into the van, and drove off – leaving her alone to die. The woman was later found and rushed to hospital, where she was officially pronounced dead. News of the mugging and woman’s death has sparked outrage in S..

Who did Emily Atack play in The Inbetweeners and who is Celebrity Juice captain dating?

EMILY ATACK is back on our screens as she joins Celebrity Juice as one of the captains.But she is best known for starring in...

545 immigrant children seized at the border cannot find their missing parents

There are now 545 children who cannot find their families after separated in ICE interment camps at the US Southern border (Photo: AP) A total of 545 immigrant children who were seized at the US Southern border with Mexico are now no longer able to find their parents, lawyers say. The children were separated from their families between 2017 to 2018, and now the US federal government cannot reunite the children with their mothers and fathers, court documents said. About 60 of the children were 5-years-old or younger when they were separated, the documents said. Under the Trump administration’s order in June 2018, children were taken from their parents at the door and put in ‘cages’ under what was called a ‘zero tolerance policy.’ Many human rights organizations began investigating the practice, leading to a subsequent federal court order to reunify those families. Nan Schivone is legal director of Justice in Motion, a group that is leading efforts to find the missing parents. ..

Related News

Celebs Go Dating to return in Celebrity Big Brother-style format with stars filmed isolating together

FANS still mourning the loss of Big Brother are in for a treat when the next series of Celebs Go Dating returns.That’s because it...

Mugger stole phone from dying jogger, 64, as she tried to call for help after heart attack

A mugger stole a dying jogger’s phone after she collapsed and tried to call for help while running close to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St Louis, Missouri, on Sunday (Picture: Google) A mugger stole a dying 64 year-old jogger’s phone as she tried to call for help. The unidentified woman was robbed after having a heart attack and falling while running near the Anheuser-Busch Brewery St Louis, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon. Harrowing surveillance footage showed her roll onto her back, then try to sit up to use her phone. She managed to stand up – only to fall headfirst onto the ground again. Moments later, a red Dodge Caravan van pulled up beside the woman and a man got out. St Louis Police Department said its driver got out and picked up the woman’s phone. He then got back into the van, and drove off – leaving her alone to die. The woman was later found and rushed to hospital, where she was officially pronounced dead. News of the mugging and woman’s death has sparked outrage in S..

Who did Emily Atack play in The Inbetweeners and who is Celebrity Juice captain dating?

EMILY ATACK is back on our screens as she joins Celebrity Juice as one of the captains.But she is best known for starring in...

545 immigrant children seized at the border cannot find their missing parents

There are now 545 children who cannot find their families after separated in ICE interment camps at the US Southern border (Photo: AP) A total of 545 immigrant children who were seized at the US Southern border with Mexico are now no longer able to find their parents, lawyers say. The children were separated from their families between 2017 to 2018, and now the US federal government cannot reunite the children with their mothers and fathers, court documents said. About 60 of the children were 5-years-old or younger when they were separated, the documents said. Under the Trump administration’s order in June 2018, children were taken from their parents at the door and put in ‘cages’ under what was called a ‘zero tolerance policy.’ Many human rights organizations began investigating the practice, leading to a subsequent federal court order to reunify those families. Nan Schivone is legal director of Justice in Motion, a group that is leading efforts to find the missing parents. ..

Dancing On Ice’s Becky Vardy looks confident as she gets her skates on ahead of show launch

DANCING On Ice’s Rebekah Vardy looks confident and happy as she gets her skates on ahead of the show’s glitzy launch. The mum-of-five is in...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here