Home Confusion for Greater Manchester as row between No 10 and Andy Burnham...
Array

Confusion for Greater Manchester as row between No 10 and Andy Burnham continues

- Advertisement -
Downing Street is being urged to restart talks with Greater Manchester\'s political leaders as they deny No 10\'s suggestion talks had been arranged to attempt to end the row
Mayor Andy Burnham denies talks with No 10 have been arranged (Picture: PA)

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham has denied Number 10’s suggestion that talks have been arranged to end a row over plans to move the region into tier three coronavirus restrictions.

Downing Street said a call had been scheduled for tomorrow morning as both face mounting pressure to strike a deal, as Covid-19 cases continue to rise in the area.

But Burnham, who has rejected tier three plans unless more financial support is provided to soften the ensuing economic blow it would cause, claims no discussion has been arranged.

He says no meetings had taken place since Thursday morning, saying in a joint statement with council leaders that ‘we are ready to meet at any time’.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live

Today Downing Street indicated that a message was left with Burnham, but a spokesman for the mayor said: ‘Nothing has yet been arranged.’

A Government source responded: ‘No 10 reached out this morning to try and arrange a meeting with the Mayor of Manchester.

‘We will continue to try and reach an agreement on these difficult, yet necessary, measures to protect the NHS and the people of Manchester.’

People wear face coverings in Manchester, as more than half of England is living with heightened coronavirus restrictions after the severest measures came into force in Lancashire and Londoners were banned from meeting indoors. PA Photo. Picture date: Saturday October 17, 2020. The measures came into force as Greater Manchester continued to resist the highest controls as the region?s political leaders fight to secure more financial support for workers and businesses. Photo credit should read: Danny Lawson/PA Wire
Both sides are facing mounting pressure to reach an agreement on lockdown measures (Picture: PA)

Boris Johnson has warned that he could impose restrictions without local permission, with Labour agreeing that the situation in Greater Manchester is ‘grave’.

The confusion over talks adds to anxiety already felt by the people of the metropolitan county, who could be plunged into a tier three lockdown at any moment.

Amid the growing pressure to reach a lockdown deal, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins has responded to fears the force may not not adequately enforce third tier restrictions.

In an open letter published today, he said: ‘I wish to clarify that as the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police I am accountable to the Mayor of Greater Manchester and responsible to the people of Greater Manchester, critically I am operationally independent.

‘Throughout the coronavirus Pandemic, GMP have taken a proportionate response to policing the regulations. Over the last 10 weeks we have had more stringent local restrictions and have maintained this approach, issuing 563 fixed penalty notices for breaches of the regulations.

People wear face coverings in Manchester, as more than half of England is living with heightened coronavirus restrictions after the severest measures came into force in Lancashire and Londoners were banned from meeting indoors. PA Photo. Picture date: Saturday October 17, 2020. The measures came into force as Greater Manchester continued to resist the highest controls as the region?s political leaders fight to secure more financial support for workers and businesses. Photo credit should read: Danny Lawson/PA Wire
The mayor says more financial support must be provided before he agrees to tier 3 restrictions (Picture: PA)

‘It is for local and national politicians to agree the necessary restrictions to keep us all safe. As the Chief Constable I will then ensure my officers and staff enforce these in a proportionate manner alongside our local authority partners.’

Shadow Education Secretary Kate Green earlier urged both sides of the conflict to end the ‘blame game’, and called for negotiations to ensure the region receives an adequate support package.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, the Labour MP for Stretford and Urmston said: ‘That has not been offered by the Government. There hasn’t even been discussions over the past 24 hours between the Government and Greater Manchester’s leaders.

A painting of a young girl playing hula-hoops with a bike tyre painted on a red-brick wall backgroundBanksy confirms Nottingham mural is his but Birmingham artist says it isn’t

‘We have to have our local leaders around the table with the Prime Minister or with his representatives to thrash out a deal today.’

Advertisement

Advertisement

At a Downing Street press conference yesterday, the Prime Minister said: ‘I cannot stress enough: time is of the essence. Each day that passes before action is taken means more people will go to hospital, more people will end up in intensive care and tragically more people will die.’

But the mayor and council leaders across Greater Manchester insist they have done ‘everything within our power to protect the health of our residents’, demanding greater support for worker and businesses before a tier three lockdown can be accepted.

According to Public Health England Manchester’s infection rate currently stands at 460 cases per 100,000 people – the highest rate in the region.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Advertisement

Advertisement

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Boy, 12, and tour guide have limbs ripped off in Egypt shark attack

An Oceanic Whitetip shark, which is thought to have attacked the group in the Red Sea (Picture: Getty Images) A 12-year-old boy lost an arm and an Egyptian tour guide a leg in a shark attack off the coast of Egypt. Two tourists, a mother and son, and their tour guide were snorkelling in the Red Sea in the resort of Sharm El-Sheikh when the attack happened, the country’s Environment Ministry said. They were rushed to hospital. An initial investigation into Sunday’s attack at Ras Mohammed National Park showed it involved a two-meter (six-foot) long Oceanic Whitetip shark, the ministry added. The boy is now in intensive care and surgery failed to save his arm, according to Ukraine’s State Agency for the Development of Tourism. An anonymous Egyptian health official said the guide had lost a leg, while the mother suffered minor injuries. Officials have closed the area of the national park where the attack took place. Shark attacks have been rare in the Red Sea coastal region of Egypt i..
- Advertisement -

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe ‘told to pack bag for prison return’ over new charge

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe could spend years more in jail (Picture: PA) A British-Iranian mother who has been detained in Iran since 2016 has been summoned to court to face fresh charges, according to her family. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who was released to house arrest in March due to the coronavirus outbreak, was told to ‘pack a bag’ as she would be returning to prison after the hearing on Monday, her husband claims. The mother-of-one is nearing the end of a five-year sentence over allegations of plotting to overthrow the Iranian government. She has always denied the charges. The summons came on Tuesday after it emerged that a UK court hearing on a debt owed to Iran, due to start on November 3, had been postponed for six months. Her husband Richard Ratcliffe said: ‘We don’t know what will happen on Monday, we don’t know how far and how soon they will take forward their prison threat. ‘But we do know that the Revolutionary Guard are signalling something to the British governme..

Who is in The Repair Shop cast?

THE Repair Shop sees experts work their magic repairing and restoring antiques to their former glory. The team have a wealth of expertise,...

Who is The Repair Shop host Jay Blades and how old is he?

Jay Blades is a social entrepreneur and designer. He is the host of BBC show The Repair Shop and has also stars in Money for Nothing. Jay Blades...

Related News

Boy, 12, and tour guide have limbs ripped off in Egypt shark attack

An Oceanic Whitetip shark, which is thought to have attacked the group in the Red Sea (Picture: Getty Images) A 12-year-old boy lost an arm and an Egyptian tour guide a leg in a shark attack off the coast of Egypt. Two tourists, a mother and son, and their tour guide were snorkelling in the Red Sea in the resort of Sharm El-Sheikh when the attack happened, the country’s Environment Ministry said. They were rushed to hospital. An initial investigation into Sunday’s attack at Ras Mohammed National Park showed it involved a two-meter (six-foot) long Oceanic Whitetip shark, the ministry added. The boy is now in intensive care and surgery failed to save his arm, according to Ukraine’s State Agency for the Development of Tourism. An anonymous Egyptian health official said the guide had lost a leg, while the mother suffered minor injuries. Officials have closed the area of the national park where the attack took place. Shark attacks have been rare in the Red Sea coastal region of Egypt i..

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe ‘told to pack bag for prison return’ over new charge

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe could spend years more in jail (Picture: PA) A British-Iranian mother who has been detained in Iran since 2016 has been summoned to court to face fresh charges, according to her family. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who was released to house arrest in March due to the coronavirus outbreak, was told to ‘pack a bag’ as she would be returning to prison after the hearing on Monday, her husband claims. The mother-of-one is nearing the end of a five-year sentence over allegations of plotting to overthrow the Iranian government. She has always denied the charges. The summons came on Tuesday after it emerged that a UK court hearing on a debt owed to Iran, due to start on November 3, had been postponed for six months. Her husband Richard Ratcliffe said: ‘We don’t know what will happen on Monday, we don’t know how far and how soon they will take forward their prison threat. ‘But we do know that the Revolutionary Guard are signalling something to the British governme..

Who is in The Repair Shop cast?

THE Repair Shop sees experts work their magic repairing and restoring antiques to their former glory. The team have a wealth of expertise,...

Who is The Repair Shop host Jay Blades and how old is he?

Jay Blades is a social entrepreneur and designer. He is the host of BBC show The Repair Shop and has also stars in Money for Nothing. Jay Blades...

Where is The Repair Shop filmed and who pays for the repairs?

BBC One show The Repair Shop sees experts fix the unfixable for Brits, restoring all kinds of treasured items such as furniture and...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

%d bloggers like this: