Plans have been confirmed to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, marking seventy years on the throne – the first ever for a UK monarch.
The year-long celebration will culminate in the Jubilee weekend in June 2022.
Read on to find out everything we know about the Platinum Jubilee.
When is the Platinum Jubilee?
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has confirmed a schedule of events from Thursday, June 2 to Sunday, June 5, 2022.
The Platinum Jubilee will be marked from this June until the next, as it has been in recent years.
At the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, ten years after the Golden Jubilee, there was a pageant on the River Thames, a military flypast and concert, among various other events.
The full details of the coming Jubilee have not yet been finalised, but the country can expect similar shows of pomp and ceremony.
How will the Platinum Jubilee be celebrated?
A full schedule of events have already been suggested, and it’s likely there’s more to come. These include:
- The Queen’s Birthday Parade – Beginning at Buckingham Palace, celebrations will begin with the traditional Trooping of the Colour. This will see over 1,400 soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians march through London, joined by members of the Royal family.
- Platinum Jubilee beacons – Beacons will be lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and the capital cities of UK Overseas Territories.
- The Derby at Epson Downs – The Queen and other members of the Royal Family will attend the horse racing at Epson.
- Platinum Party at the Palace – The BBC will broadcast a ‘once in a generation’ concert from Buckingham Palace, that promises to bring together some of the world’s biggest stars for a night of music. Members of the public will be able to enter a ballot for tickets to participate in the event.
- The Big Jubilee Lunch – Community project The Big Lunch will encourage the public to host street parties, barbecues or brunches, bringing together neighbours in ‘the spirit of fun and friendship’.
- Jubilee Pageant – Combining street artists, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume, the Jubilee Pageant will feature over 5,000 members of the public and celebrate the life of the Queen.
Will the Platinum Jubilee be a Bank Holiday?
Brits can look forward to a special four-day Bank Holiday weekend in summer 2022 to celebrate the jubilee.
However, we will lose one of their other Bank Holidays that year, to create the four-day weekend, with the late May Spring Bank Holiday moved to June 2.
The day off on Friday 3 will be created specially for the event.
Share your views in the comments below