Image default

Family pays heartbreaking tribute to ‘bubbly’ boy, 2, who died after being pulled from Swanwick Lake

THE FAMILY of a “bubbly” two-year-old boy who died after being pulled unresponsive from Swanwick Lake have paid a touching tribute to their “light and life”.

Greyson Birch died in hospital two days after he was found unconscious in the lake near Fareham, Hants, on May 30 at around 8.20pm.

Greyson Birch, 2, died two days after he was pulled unresponsive from Swanwick Lake

His heartbroken family described him as “our light and life” and said it “kills us” that he is no longer here.

The toddler was rushed to Southampton General Hospital in a critical but stable condition before police confirmed he had tragically passed away at Southampton General Hospital.

Tributes poured in for the blonde-haired little boy in the wake of his tragic death.

A statement released by his grief-stricken family read: “Greyson Birch, our much loved son, brother and cherished family member who has sadly been taken from us was a character that neither family, friends or other persons will not and cannot forget.

“His bubbly personality that filled all our hearts with joy and happiness will linger in this world.

“Greyson was our light and life that will still shine to us all through our thoughts and memories. Greyson would love to dance, sing, play, just everything!

“To know that each time we hear Twinkle Twinkle or someone plays Baby Shark and he’s not there dancing and clapping his hands kills us to the bottom of our hearts.


The tragic tot’s family described him as “our light and life”[/caption]


Swanwick Lake was previously a clay pit for a local brick works[/caption]

“The cheeky little smile that would grace our presence will remain in our family and friends’ hearts forever. I know he is now in a safe place watching over his sibling and all that came to be a part of his short but amazing life.

“In this time of need we ask for all our family and close friends to be left to grieve and come to terms with the devastation that has been unwillingly let into our lives.

“His memory will remain always and live through the smiles and joy of each individual who had the pleasure of meeting him.”


An 18-year-old man from Southampton, who is known to the boy, was arrested and bailed until June 27.

Police are investigating how the boy ended up in the water, and urged anyone who was at the beauty spot between 7.45pm and 8.30pm to contact them.

Detective Inspector Matt Gillooly, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a very sad case, and our thoughts remain with the child’s family at this time.

“We are still trying to establish exactly how this boy came to be in the water, and we are keeping an open mind regarding the circumstances.

An 18-year-old man was arrested and bailed in relation to the incident

“As part of our investigation, we want to speak to everyone who was at the reserve between 7.45pm and 8.30pm. We know there was a female dogwalker with a small dog in the area at this time.

“Was this you? Please call us if you were there. Equally, we want to identify everyone who was there as any information, no matter how small, could prove significant.”

Nearby residents told how over 16 emergency service vehicles rushed to the lake after the horror.

One local woman said she believed some of the the water near where the boy was found could become “tidal”.

She said: “People are silly down there and it’s very tidal.”

The 36-hectare site of Swanwick Lakes was once a clay pit for a local brick works.

It is described by Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust as “a beautiful oasis for nature in an otherwise urban area”.

Related posts

Prince Harry says ‘culture of exploitation’ took Princess Diana’s life & praises ‘step towards truth’ after Bashir probe


Incredible moment cheetahs’ blood-splattered faces turn bright red as they gorge on slain impala


Human bones found just yards from Harry and Meghan’s £11m LA Mansion


Leave a Comment