A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl suffered agonising burns after stepping barefoot on hidden hot areas of sand where beachgoers had earlier lit up a disposable barbecue.
Little Sadie was left “screaming in agony” having suffered horrible burns and blisters on her feet on a family day out the beach at Thorpe Bay, Essex.
Recalling the horrific incident, Sadie’s auntie, Jo Paic, 43, said the family went to their beach hut to enjoy the sunshine,
She said: “She had taken her little rubber shoes off as the stones kept getting caught in them and she didn’t like it.
“The next thing we heard was her crying — she was barely two metres in front of us.
“She then started screaming. A scream that you know a kid makes when something bad has happened.”
Jo then realised the little toddler had stood on the exact spot where a disposable barbecue had been.
She said: “I’m not looking to attribute blame, it could have been any of us.
“But if you take a portable barbecue down to the beach please make sure that when you’ve finished you douse it underneath as well as on top of it.
“You never know who is going to sit down or stand in that spot when you’ve left.”
Southend Council said barbecues were not currently banned at Shoebury East Beach, where the incident took place.
But the local authority said it had launched a consultation earlier this year asking residents about the use of them.
Most read in News
Martin Terry, councillor for public protection, said “This incident is truly horrifying, and I hope the young girl makes a swift recovery.
“This was completely avoidable, but unfortunately this brave young girl has suffered due to inconsiderate disposal of a barbecue on the beach.
“I know the people responsible would in no way have looked to cause harm to anyone, but this, unfortunately, serves a stark reminder that we all need to take the appropriate precautions when disposing of barbecues in public areas.”