Home World Government guidelines on household visits is not 'a ban' says Public Expenditure...

Government guidelines on household visits is not ‘a ban’ says Public Expenditure Minister McGrath

- Advertisement -

Minister for Public Expenditure Michael McGrath said that the government guidelines coming into effect tonight on household visits is not a “ban”.

There have been a lot of enquiries about the house ban visit. We are trying to limit house visits but it’s not a ban per say,” he said on RTÉ’s Prime Time.

The Minister explained that people can visit other homes for necessary circumstances- including visiting a lonely friend or relative.

“We are trying to cut out unnecessary bans. If someone is isolated, if someone is vulnerable, or if someone needs childcare that is fine. It’s not a ban,” he added.

“We are asking people to exercise common sense and to exercise judgment. We are trying to reduce the number of people that we are all visiting.”

Speaking about the household ban due to come into effect at midnight tonight, Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe said that following health guidelines “has its consequences”.

“As you make more demanding changes from public health guidelines it has consequences,” he said on Virgin Media One’s The Tonight Show.

“For the 400,000 citizens who are living alone the reduction in social contact is hard …this has consequences too.

“Our government is looking at many different things. We do want to look at what options we have but now our focus is making level 3 and the guidance of yesterday work.”

It was announced on Wednesday that Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal will go into Level 4 restrictions at midnight tonight while there is a nationwide ban on household visits.

Up until tonight counties placed in a Level 3 restriction were allowed one visitor to their home or up to six visitors if from the same household.

These restrictions come into place after the highest daily Covid-19 cases in the Republic of Ireland were confirmed with 1,205 being infected.

There were also three further deaths.

A Level 4 means a ban on household visits, weddings reduced to six people and the closures of hairdressers and barbers.

Pubs and restaurants will only be permitted to give delivery and takeaway service.

Speaking on the new measures, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said: “We are on a journey with this virus and we have come to a difficult point in that journey. For that reason, we have agreed to move Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan to Level Four on the Living With Covid-19 Framework.”

“A new Level Three status has been with us for the last week, and we want another week to analyse the effects of these measures.

“The truth is there are concerns about the full implementation of Level Three. These concerns are in relation to the poor application or adherence to advice when it comes to home visiting, sports training and events, people going into work when they could and should work from home, as well as slippage in retail and other services.”

Online Editors

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Hugh Grant says he’s turned into his father as he opens up on having kids: ‘It’s the worst and best time in your life’

Hugh said he’s turning into his father (Picture: Rex)Hugh Grant has admitted he’s turned into his father after having kids of his own. The...
- Advertisement -

Anthea Turner shares relief as former co-star John Leslie is cleared of sexual assault charge: ‘Justice has prevailed’

Anthea Turner shared her relief at the verdict (Picture: PA)Anthea Turner has shared her relief at her former co-star John Leslie’s ‘not guilty’...

US parties near deadline to agree stimulus package

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held a call on Monday afternoon on a fiscal stimulus package, a day before...

Secret Service ‘will forcibly remove’ Trump from White House if he won’t leave

The Secret Service may end up forcibly removing Donald Trump from the White House (Picture: Reuters/Getty) The Secret Service has allegedly drawn up plans to remove Donald Trump with force if he loses the election and refuses to leave the White House. Trump has not officially committed to a peaceful transfer of power and has hinted at contesting the election should Joe Biden end up winning. Anthony Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, told i News on Sunday that the Secret Service has made confidential plans in case Trump decides to extend his stay in the Oval Office ahead of the president’s inauguration in January. Scaramucci, who has contacts within the administration, said: ‘The Secret Service and the US Marine Corps that protects that 18-acre area known as the West Wing and the old executive building complex have already had discussions – “who is taking him out of there if he doesn’t want to go?”‘ ‘It’s been decided that it’s the Secret Service because it..

Related News

Hugh Grant says he’s turned into his father as he opens up on having kids: ‘It’s the worst and best time in your life’

Hugh said he’s turning into his father (Picture: Rex)Hugh Grant has admitted he’s turned into his father after having kids of his own. The...

Anthea Turner shares relief as former co-star John Leslie is cleared of sexual assault charge: ‘Justice has prevailed’

Anthea Turner shared her relief at the verdict (Picture: PA)Anthea Turner has shared her relief at her former co-star John Leslie’s ‘not guilty’...

US parties near deadline to agree stimulus package

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held a call on Monday afternoon on a fiscal stimulus package, a day before...

Secret Service ‘will forcibly remove’ Trump from White House if he won’t leave

The Secret Service may end up forcibly removing Donald Trump from the White House (Picture: Reuters/Getty) The Secret Service has allegedly drawn up plans to remove Donald Trump with force if he loses the election and refuses to leave the White House. Trump has not officially committed to a peaceful transfer of power and has hinted at contesting the election should Joe Biden end up winning. Anthony Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, told i News on Sunday that the Secret Service has made confidential plans in case Trump decides to extend his stay in the Oval Office ahead of the president’s inauguration in January. Scaramucci, who has contacts within the administration, said: ‘The Secret Service and the US Marine Corps that protects that 18-acre area known as the West Wing and the old executive building complex have already had discussions – “who is taking him out of there if he doesn’t want to go?”‘ ‘It’s been decided that it’s the Secret Service because it..

Drag Race star Michelle Visage ‘welcomed Phillip Schofield to the club’ after he came out as gay

Phillip Schofield opened up about Michelle Visage’s support (Picture: Rex)Phillip Schofield has revealed that Drag Race star Michelle Visage ‘welcomed him to the...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here