Image default
Entertainment

John Boyega quits Netflix movie Rebel Ridge mid-filming due to ‘family reasons’

John Boyega at Golden Globes
John Boyega will no longer star in Rebel Ridge (Picture: Getty Images)

John Boyega has been forced to quit his Netflix movie, Rebel Ridge, due to ‘family reasons’. 

The Star Wars actor was signed up to play the lead role in the thriller, which is being directed by Jeremy Saulnier. 

Filming began on May 3 in Louisiana and John is believed to have already shot scenes. According to Deadline, producers are now searching for John’s replacement and are expected to have an actor confirmed in a matter of days. 

A Netflix spokesperson told the publication: ‘Rebel Ridge is pausing temporarily as we look to re-cast John Boyega who needed to leave the project for family reasons. 

‘We remain committed to Jeremy Saulnier’s extraordinary film and look forward to resuming production. We look forward to continuing our partnership with John Boyega’s UpperRoom Productions, in addition to our upcoming film They Cloned Tyrone in which he also stars.’ 

No further details on John’s family emergency have been revealed. The actor has been in Louisiana for some time and shared a photo of himself in New Orleans on May 9 posing against a graffitied wall with the caption: ‘Sunday’s in Nola.’ 

Rebel Ridge is described as a high-velocity thriller that explores systemic American injustices through bone-breaking action sequences, suspense and dark humour. 

John Boyega on red carpet
John had already filmed scenes as the lead in the Netflix film (Picture: Getty Images)

Earlier this week, a resurfaced clip featured John, 29, discussing a possible return to the Star Wars franchise. 

‘I’m open to the conversation as long as it is [Kathleen Kennedy], JJ [Abrams] and maybe someone else [on their] team. [Then] it’s a no-brainer,’ he said in an interview with Jake’s Takes from last year. 

The British actor is up for a leading actor nomination at the TV Baftas, which takes place on Sunday in London, for his role in Small Axe movie Red, White and Blue.

John also recently confirmed that he’s set to work on the sequel to his 2011 sci-fi action hit Attack The Block. 

Metro.co.uk has reached out to John’s reps for comment.

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

For more stories like this, check our entertainment page.

Follow Metro.co.uk Entertainment on Twitter and Facebook for the latest celeb and entertainment updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

MORE : Killing Eve star Jodie Comer wound up working with Stephen Graham after sliding into Jack Thorne’s DMs

MORE : Blue Therapy’s Paul Bridges on Chioma, his sister and toxic masculinity: ‘I could have been worse’

Related posts

Ashley Cain announces funeral plans for baby daughter, calling it ‘Azaylia’s Day’

admin

Dr Hilary issues hugging warning as he urges ‘turn your head away and wear a mask’

admin

Kate Garraway calls Prince Harry out over Prince Charles comments on new podcast: ‘It instantly sounds entitled’

admin

Leave a Comment