Home World Pfizer says earliest US filing for Covid-19 vaccine would be late November

Pfizer says earliest US filing for Covid-19 vaccine would be late November

- Advertisement -

Pfizer Inc said on Friday it could file in late November for US authorisation of the Covid-19 vaccine it is developing, suggesting that a vaccine could potentially be available in the United States by the end of the year.

hat timeline makes it unlikely, however, that a vaccine will be available before the US election, as President Donald Trump has promised.

Pfizer, which is developing the vaccine with German partner BioNTech, said that it may confirm if the vaccine is effective as soon as this month but that it also needs safety data from a 44,000-person clinical trial that will not be available until next month.

The Pfizer news, published in a letter from its chief executive on its website, lifted the US stock market and the company’s shares. Shares fell slightly of rival vaccine maker Moderna Inc, which is close to Pfizer in its vaccine development.

“So let me be clear, assuming positive data, Pfizer will apply for Emergency Authorization Use in the US soon after the safety milestone is achieved in the third week of November,” Pfizer Chief Executive Albert Bourla said, noting that he published the letter to provide greater clarity on the timeline for the vaccine.

People around the world are counting on a vaccine to control the spread of the coronavirus, which has killed more than a million people and ravaged the global economy.

Fears of delays were raised after trials for two rival vaccines were put on hold in the United States in recent weeks.

Trump has said repeatedly that there would be a vaccine available before the November 3 election.

When asked about the Pfizer news, White House spokesman Judd Deere said, “The president continues to be optimistic that we will have one or more vaccines very soon, before the end of the year.”

The US government’s Operation Warp Speed program has spent billions of dollars on development of vaccines and treatments. It has signed a deal to buy Pfizer vaccine shots if they work.

But the rush to develop a vaccine has raised concerns that the US Food and Drug Administration, acting in haste, might not conduct an adequate review.

US health officials have sought to assuage those concerns. Earlier this month, the FDA formalised a requirement that the vaccine-makers collect two months of safety data on one-half of trial participants.

Pfizer has been trying to demonstrate that its decision-making is being driven by science rather than politics, Mizuho analyst Vamil Divan said.

“Just getting it to the market is only a small part of it,” Divan said. “People should actually be willing to take it.”

Rival vaccine-maker Moderna could also apply for an emergency use authorisation (EUA) this year. It has said that it may have interim data on its 30,000 person trial as soon as November.

Both companies are also applying for approval in Europe, where they are racing against AstraZeneca PLC. AstraZeneca’s US trial has been on hold since September, while another US trial of a candidate from Johnson & Johnson was paused earlier this week.

After the FDA announced the two-month requirement on October 6, which was approved by the White House but undercut the likelihood of a vaccine before voters go to polls, Trump called the move a “political hit job.”

In addition to safety and efficacy, the FDA will also examine Pfizer’s manufacturing operations for the vaccine.

A BioNTech spokeswoman confirmed the time frame for the possible EUA application to the FDA.

Reuters

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

‘Fake Melania’ conspiracy theory re-emerges as photo goes viral

Some claim this Melania looks different in this picture (Picture: REX) A wild conspiracy theory that Donald Trump is using a body double to stand-in for his wife has re-surfaced because of a photo showing Melania apparently not looking herself. #FakeMelania has been trending on Twitter because of the picture, which shows the president and his wife boarding Marine One on the south lawn of the White House earlier this week. It was taken as the couple travelled to the final presidential debate in Nashville and was the first time they were seen in public together after both contracted coronavirus. Melania is seen smiling while wearing dark glasses but some have pointed out her smile is different to normal and her teeth structure isn’t the same as in previous pictures. Proponents of the conspiracy theory claim the president has had to resort to hiring an actress to play his wife because she is reluctant to accompany him on campaign trips. Film director Zack Bornstein was one of the..
- Advertisement -

Prince Andrew ‘planning return to royal duties’ after stepping back amid Epstein scandal

Prince Andrew wants to return to royal duties, a source has claimed (Picture: LNP; Getty) Prince Andrew is planning his return to royal duties almost a year after he stepped down following the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, it has been reported. The Duke of York, 60, withdrew from royal duties for the ‘foreseeable future’ last November as a result of his friendship with convicted paedophile Epstein. He now reportedly wants to ‘support the monarchy’ and is striving to find new role for himself among the family. A source told The Times: ‘The Duke is spending time working out how he can serve his country and support the monarchy in the future, and what else he might want to do with his life. ‘He’s locked down at Royal Lodge, thinking about his future service and public role. He has some clear thoughts. He’s very sensitive to the public mood and acutely conscious that the public are the most important stakeholder. A senior royal aide said returning to an ‘official’ role was unlikely (Pictur..

Tory MP calls for Test and Trace chief to quit over system’s failures

Baroness Dido Harding is under growing pressure (Picture: Getty) Calls are growing for the head of Test and Trace to be axed, with the latest figures showing the system is performing record-breakingly badly. Labour has suggested Baroness Dido Harding’s position is ‘untenable’, as pressure mounts to fix the system which has so far cost the taxpayer £12 billion. Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis jumped to Lady’s Harding defence on Sunday morning, claiming she has done a ‘very good job’. He rejected a call by the senior Conservative MP Sir Bernard Jenkin for Lady Harding to be replaced by a senior military commander. It comes as damning new figures showed Test and Trace had its worst week since the pandemic began. The system failed to reach 40.4% of close contacts of people who tested positive for Covid-19 in England in the week ending October 14, according to official figures published on Thursday. That is the lowest weekly percentage since test and trace began and is down fr..

Marcus Rashford ‘truly overwhelmed’ after 1,000 organisations pledge free school meals

The Manchester United star has received an outpouring of support for his campaign after his bid was rejected by Tory MPs (Picture: EPA/Google) Marcus Rashford said he ‘couldn’t be more proud to call myself British’ following the nationwide support his free meals campaign has received, with more than 1,000 organisations pledging to feed hungry children. The Manchester United footballer, 22, said he is ‘truly overwhelmed’ over the response received for his campaign to provide free school meals to disadvantaged children over the school holidays. So far, more than 1,000 organisations have responded to Rashford’s call to action, after Tory MPs voted against his proposal to continue the voucher scheme in the Commons earlier this week. The move has prompted national backlash, causing a senior Tory MP to today admit his party ‘misunderstood the mood of the country’ and urged ministers to reconsider. An interactive map shows families in need where they can access free meals over the half-..

Related News

‘Fake Melania’ conspiracy theory re-emerges as photo goes viral

Some claim this Melania looks different in this picture (Picture: REX) A wild conspiracy theory that Donald Trump is using a body double to stand-in for his wife has re-surfaced because of a photo showing Melania apparently not looking herself. #FakeMelania has been trending on Twitter because of the picture, which shows the president and his wife boarding Marine One on the south lawn of the White House earlier this week. It was taken as the couple travelled to the final presidential debate in Nashville and was the first time they were seen in public together after both contracted coronavirus. Melania is seen smiling while wearing dark glasses but some have pointed out her smile is different to normal and her teeth structure isn’t the same as in previous pictures. Proponents of the conspiracy theory claim the president has had to resort to hiring an actress to play his wife because she is reluctant to accompany him on campaign trips. Film director Zack Bornstein was one of the..

Prince Andrew ‘planning return to royal duties’ after stepping back amid Epstein scandal

Prince Andrew wants to return to royal duties, a source has claimed (Picture: LNP; Getty) Prince Andrew is planning his return to royal duties almost a year after he stepped down following the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, it has been reported. The Duke of York, 60, withdrew from royal duties for the ‘foreseeable future’ last November as a result of his friendship with convicted paedophile Epstein. He now reportedly wants to ‘support the monarchy’ and is striving to find new role for himself among the family. A source told The Times: ‘The Duke is spending time working out how he can serve his country and support the monarchy in the future, and what else he might want to do with his life. ‘He’s locked down at Royal Lodge, thinking about his future service and public role. He has some clear thoughts. He’s very sensitive to the public mood and acutely conscious that the public are the most important stakeholder. A senior royal aide said returning to an ‘official’ role was unlikely (Pictur..

Tory MP calls for Test and Trace chief to quit over system’s failures

Baroness Dido Harding is under growing pressure (Picture: Getty) Calls are growing for the head of Test and Trace to be axed, with the latest figures showing the system is performing record-breakingly badly. Labour has suggested Baroness Dido Harding’s position is ‘untenable’, as pressure mounts to fix the system which has so far cost the taxpayer £12 billion. Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis jumped to Lady’s Harding defence on Sunday morning, claiming she has done a ‘very good job’. He rejected a call by the senior Conservative MP Sir Bernard Jenkin for Lady Harding to be replaced by a senior military commander. It comes as damning new figures showed Test and Trace had its worst week since the pandemic began. The system failed to reach 40.4% of close contacts of people who tested positive for Covid-19 in England in the week ending October 14, according to official figures published on Thursday. That is the lowest weekly percentage since test and trace began and is down fr..

Marcus Rashford ‘truly overwhelmed’ after 1,000 organisations pledge free school meals

The Manchester United star has received an outpouring of support for his campaign after his bid was rejected by Tory MPs (Picture: EPA/Google) Marcus Rashford said he ‘couldn’t be more proud to call myself British’ following the nationwide support his free meals campaign has received, with more than 1,000 organisations pledging to feed hungry children. The Manchester United footballer, 22, said he is ‘truly overwhelmed’ over the response received for his campaign to provide free school meals to disadvantaged children over the school holidays. So far, more than 1,000 organisations have responded to Rashford’s call to action, after Tory MPs voted against his proposal to continue the voucher scheme in the Commons earlier this week. The move has prompted national backlash, causing a senior Tory MP to today admit his party ‘misunderstood the mood of the country’ and urged ministers to reconsider. An interactive map shows families in need where they can access free meals over the half-..

Luke Shaw slammed for ignoring Bruno Fernandes request during Manchester United’s draw with Chelsea

Luke Shaw passed up the chance to provide a run for Bruno Fernandes in Manchester United’s draw with Chelsea (Getty)Luke Shaw has been...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

%d bloggers like this: