Image default
News

PM ‘will lift 30-person limit on weddings’ even if other lockdown restrictions stay in place after June 21

BORIS Johnson is set to lift the 30-person limit on weddings even if the June 21 easing of lockdown is delayed, it’s reported.

The Prime Minister – who married Carrie Symonds last month – is said to be determined to end current wedding restrictions on June 21, The Times reports.

🔵 Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest updates

Alamy

The Prime Minister is set to lift the 30-person limit on weddings on June 21, it’s reported[/caption]

AP

The Prime Minister is reportedly determined[/caption]

Under current rules, 30 people are allowed to attend a wedding ceremony or reception in a Covid-secure venue.

The government has aimed to lift all final Covid restrictions from June 21 – but concerns about the spread of the Indian – or Delta – variant means a delay is being considered.

Couples across the country have been forced to postpone their wedding after Covid restrictions were first brought in last March.

But in a huge boost for the wedding sector, the 30-person cap will reportedly be removed on June 21 – even if an easing to other restrictions is delayed.

‘TOUGH’ ON WEDDING SECTOR

It comes as Mr Johnson dropped his starkest hint yet that June 21’s Freedom Day will be delayed.

A government source told The Times: “It’s been tough on the sector.

“If you’ve got stadiums full of people, why can’t weddings go ahead with more than 30 people?”

The 30-person limit on people at funerals was lifted on May 17, under Step 3 of the government’s roadmap.

Under the government’s wedding plan to ease restrictions further, guests could sit at tables that aren’t socially distanced, but would be advised to be “cautious”.

PA

Boris and Carrie released a wedding snap taken in the garden of No10[/caption]

Tim Stewart

The 30 guests all received their invitations at the last minute[/caption]

But guests would be required to wear masks and to exercise “personal judgement” on hugs, as per current guidance.

Apart from the couple’s first dance, current guidance says dancing is advised against “due to the increased risk of transmission”.

Other special social gatherings, such as christenings and bar mitzvahs, would also see the rules relaxed, it’s reported.

The Prime Minister, 56, and Ms Symonds, 33, married themselves in a top-secret service Westminster Cathedral on May 29.

The event was six months in the planning. Fewer than 30 guests had been invited, all of whom were told at the last minute.

Guests were treated to afternoon tea in the Downing Street garden, where they sang and danced around a fire pit into the early hours.

A larger celebration is planned for next summer when the 30-person limit should be scrapped.

If you’ve got stadiums full of people, why can’t weddings go ahead with more than 30 people

A source to The Times

On Wednesday, the PM struck warned cases and hospitalisations were creeping up in parts of the country – and refused to commit to unlocking in two weeks.

Cases in the UK rose by 7,540 in the highest leap in daily infections since February.

Speaking as he touched down in Cornwall for the G7, the PM said: “On Monday… we’ll have a look at where we are.

“I think what everybody can see very clearly is that cases are going up, and in some cases hospitalisations are going up.

“What we need to assess is the extent to which the vaccine rollout, which has been phenomenal, has built up protection in the population in order for us to go ahead to the next stage. And so that’s what we’ll be looking at.”

Boris Johnson dropped his gloomiest hint yet tonight that June 21’s Freedom Day will be delayed

 

Boris Johnson is due to make an announcement on Monday on whether to ditch all the Covid rules from June 21, or to keep some for longer to keep Covid cases under control.

Ministers have repeatedly stressed it’s too early to make a decision, but they will keep all options on the table.

Meanwhile, a record one million jabs were booked on Tuesday by young people keen to get life back to normal.

Youngsters fuelled a “blockbuster” rush on the NHS booking site, snapping up more than 750 appointments per minute, after vaccines rolled out to the 25-29 age group.

Health service chief Sir Simon Stevens said the surge has “blown out of the water” fears that people in their 20s might- not want jabs.

He said: “Enthusiasm for the biggest and most successful vaccination programme remains strong as bookings for the lifesaving jab have reached an all-time high.

“It’s great that 25 to 29-year-olds sent bookings to blockbuster levels, following hot on the heels of the millions of others.

“The obvious enthusiasm of younger adults to get their jab has blown out of the water the suggestion that they might not come forward to protect themselves and their loved ones.

“Remember, you’re next when you get the text.”

Related posts

Drinkers sink pints inside pubs at the stroke of midnight as indoor mixing allowed for the first time since November

admin

Driver dies and 13 kids injured after school bus crash in Pembrokeshire

admin

Lego Store and Cineworld evacuated as Leicester Square is hit by bomb threat

admin

Leave a Comment