Antonio Conte steered Inter to the Serie A title for the first time in 11 years last season but subsequently quit due to differing views on how the club should conduct their transfer business this summer.
The Italian’s shock departure has sparked talk of a possible exodus at the San Siro, with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich ready to capitalise on the turbulent situation to lure Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge.
The Belgium international is thought to have been placed at the top of Blues’ shortlist of attacking targets along with Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland and wantaway Tottenham forward Harry Kane.
However, it appears Lukaku remains committed to the contract he signed at Inter back in August 2019 which sees him through to the summer of 2024.
‘Romelu is happy at Inter,’ his representative, Federico Pastorello, told reporters after meeting with Inter officials at the team’s headquarters on Thursday.
‘He has a contract so there are no problems.’
Pastorello had been speaking with Inter primarily to secure another of his clients, Joao Mario, a permanent switch to Sporting after a successful loan spell last term.
‘I came here for Joao Mario, we are trying to close the deal with Sporting,’ he added.
‘There are a few more clubs interested in signing him, we’ll see what happens in the next few days.
‘We want to make the player happy. He’d like to stay there, there is optimism.’
Lukaku was with Chelsea as a promising youngster from 2011 to 2014 but failed to nail down a regular place in Jose Mourinho’s starting XI and joined Everton on a permanent basis three years later to boost his minutes.
Since leaving Manchester United, Lukaku has established himself as one of the most lethal finishers in Serie A and finished last season as the league’s second-top scorer with 24 goals.
Only Cristiano Ronaldo bettered the Belgian’s tally in the Italian top flight after netting 29 times across the campaign for fourth-placed Juventus.
Speaking to HLN last week, Lukaku distanced himself from rumours he could follow Conte out the exit door after holding ‘positive’ talks with Inter’s new manager, Simone Inzaghi, over his future.
‘I am staying at Inter. I’ve already had contact with the man who will become our new manager,’ he said.
‘Maybe I shouldn’t say that yet… but it was a very positive conversation.
‘There is also the challenge of doing it again [winning the league with Inter]. I feel good at Inter.’
On Conte’s exit, Lukaku added: ‘The heights I have reached as a player are thanks to him.
‘He repeats a lot, repeats tactical exercises.
‘In the beginning it was mostly individual, lots of videos to improve tactically. He was always constructive in his criticism. Not killing me off to kill me off but killing me to make me better.
‘If you do that every day, for a player like me, who is super focused on football, I could only get a better player.
‘When I heard he was going to leave, it was difficult because we have such a hungry group and guys who really work for the team and then the cycle was suddenly stopped.’