Home News Tory MP accused of rape has bailed lifted as cops release him...

Tory MP accused of rape has bailed lifted as cops release him under investigation

- Advertisement -

A TORY MP accused of rape has had his bail lifted and is free to return to Westminster.

But the MP, who cannot be named for legal reason, has been released under investigation for rape, sexual assault and assault.

A Tory MP accused of rape has had his bail lifted, it is reported

2

A Tory MP accused of rape has had his bail lifted, it is reportedCredit: Times Newspapers Ltd
Speaker of the House of Commons told other MPs not to name the alleged rapist

2

Speaker of the House of Commons told other MPs not to name the alleged rapist

He had previously “voluntarily agreed” not to head back to Westminster after the summer recess while on bail after the allegations of rape against him.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July, 2019 and January, 2020.

A Met police spokesman said: “A man in his 50s was arrested on Saturday 1 August.

“He has now been released under investigation.”

RAPE INVESTIGATION

Last month, the Speaker of the House of Commons begged other MPs not to name him.

Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle told the House: “The House will know that a member has been arrested in connection with an investigation into allegations of a very serious criminal offence.

“I’ve received assurances from the member and from the Government chief whip that the member has voluntarily agreed not to attend the House of Commons for the period of the bail.”

Sir Lindsay also said it was essential fellow MPs do not try and publicly name the alleged perpetrator accused of rape by a former parliamentary staffer.

Sir Lindsay added: “While the investigation is ongoing I believe it would be wholly inappropriate for any further reference to be made of this matter in the house – including any attempt to name the member concerned.”

MPs have previously used parliamentary privilege – which protects MPs and peers from prosecution for statements made in the House of Commons or House of Lords – to name people who could not otherwise be publicly named.

The MP is accused of coercing the alleged victim into having sex with him while they were in a relationship.

But he was not suspended from the Conservative Party, with chief whip Mark Spencer saying it was a matter for the police to investigate.

The probe into the allegations is being carried out by a specialist crime team within the Metropolitan Police.

A spokesperson said: “On Friday, 31 July, the Metropolitan Police Service received allegations relating to four separate incidents involving allegations of sexual offences and assault.

“These offences are alleged to have occurred at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July 2019 and January 2020.

“A man in his 50s was arrested on Saturday, 1st August 2020, on suspicion of rape, sexual assaults by penetration and touching and assault.

“His bail to return date has been extended to early November 2020.”

Sir Lindsay Hoyle is elected new Speaker of the House of Commons
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Hugh Grant says he’s turned into his father as he opens up on having kids: ‘It’s the worst and best time in your life’

Hugh said he’s turning into his father (Picture: Rex)Hugh Grant has admitted he’s turned into his father after having kids of his own. The...
- Advertisement -

Anthea Turner shares relief as former co-star John Leslie is cleared of sexual assault charge: ‘Justice has prevailed’

Anthea Turner shared her relief at the verdict (Picture: PA)Anthea Turner has shared her relief at her former co-star John Leslie’s ‘not guilty’...

US parties near deadline to agree stimulus package

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held a call on Monday afternoon on a fiscal stimulus package, a day before...

Secret Service ‘will forcibly remove’ Trump from White House if he won’t leave

The Secret Service may end up forcibly removing Donald Trump from the White House (Picture: Reuters/Getty) The Secret Service has allegedly drawn up plans to remove Donald Trump with force if he loses the election and refuses to leave the White House. Trump has not officially committed to a peaceful transfer of power and has hinted at contesting the election should Joe Biden end up winning. Anthony Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, told i News on Sunday that the Secret Service has made confidential plans in case Trump decides to extend his stay in the Oval Office ahead of the president’s inauguration in January. Scaramucci, who has contacts within the administration, said: ‘The Secret Service and the US Marine Corps that protects that 18-acre area known as the West Wing and the old executive building complex have already had discussions – “who is taking him out of there if he doesn’t want to go?”‘ ‘It’s been decided that it’s the Secret Service because it..

Related News

Hugh Grant says he’s turned into his father as he opens up on having kids: ‘It’s the worst and best time in your life’

Hugh said he’s turning into his father (Picture: Rex)Hugh Grant has admitted he’s turned into his father after having kids of his own. The...

Anthea Turner shares relief as former co-star John Leslie is cleared of sexual assault charge: ‘Justice has prevailed’

Anthea Turner shared her relief at the verdict (Picture: PA)Anthea Turner has shared her relief at her former co-star John Leslie’s ‘not guilty’...

US parties near deadline to agree stimulus package

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held a call on Monday afternoon on a fiscal stimulus package, a day before...

Secret Service ‘will forcibly remove’ Trump from White House if he won’t leave

The Secret Service may end up forcibly removing Donald Trump from the White House (Picture: Reuters/Getty) The Secret Service has allegedly drawn up plans to remove Donald Trump with force if he loses the election and refuses to leave the White House. Trump has not officially committed to a peaceful transfer of power and has hinted at contesting the election should Joe Biden end up winning. Anthony Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, told i News on Sunday that the Secret Service has made confidential plans in case Trump decides to extend his stay in the Oval Office ahead of the president’s inauguration in January. Scaramucci, who has contacts within the administration, said: ‘The Secret Service and the US Marine Corps that protects that 18-acre area known as the West Wing and the old executive building complex have already had discussions – “who is taking him out of there if he doesn’t want to go?”‘ ‘It’s been decided that it’s the Secret Service because it..

Drag Race star Michelle Visage ‘welcomed Phillip Schofield to the club’ after he came out as gay

Phillip Schofield opened up about Michelle Visage’s support (Picture: Rex)Phillip Schofield has revealed that Drag Race star Michelle Visage ‘welcomed him to the...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here