Image default
News

Woman lucky not to be blinded after wax from sky lantern fell in her eye

Woman lucky not to be blinded after wax from sky lantern fell in her eye
Lynn Baird could have been blinded after the ‘freak accident’ (Pictures: Lynn Baird/SWNS)

A woman was lucky not to be blinded when a lit candle lantern fell into her eye at a party.

Lynn Baird, 27, suffered second degree skin burns and 80% erosion to her cornea during the ‘freak accident’ at a friend’s birthday bash on May 22.

She had been trying to help another pal release their floating lamp when the wax cube came loose and hit her in the face while still alight.

The English teacher, from Broxburn in West Lothian but now living in the Czech Republic near Brno, was left in ‘agony’ as the melted wax sealed her eye shut.

She frantically tried to wash it off before being rushed to the nearest hospital in Kyjov.

Lynn said: ‘The nurse mentioned that she’d never seen anything like this in her life.

‘My eyesight was very blurry and it hurt to have my right eye open and my face looked and felt very, very raw.’

Lynn Baird's eye showing the extent of the burn. See SWNS story SWSCeye. A reveller was lucky not to be blinded when wax from a sky lantern fell in her eye and nearly entirely eroded her cornea at a party in a field. Lynn Baird, 27, was helping a friend release a lantern at a party on May 22 when a wax cube fell into her right eye - causing 80 percent erosion to her cornea and second-degree skin burns. English teacher Lynn, from Broxburn in West Lothian but now living in the Czech Republic near Brno, was left in agony as the wax left her unable to open her right eye ? and she would have been blinded if the burns had gone any deeper. Medics told her it was a ?miracle? her sight remains intact.
The wax from a sky lantern fell in her eye and nearly entirely eroded her cornea (Picture: Lynn Baird/SWNS)

She saw two more doctors the following week for a check-up where she was given the good news that it was unlikely she will be left permanently scarred.

Lynn went on: ‘My eyesight is a tiny bit worse on the right side but it’s nothing I can’t deal with considering I already wear glasses.

‘I feel lucky because while it was an unlucky, freak accident, I’ve come away relatively unscathed.

‘I still have my sight, the injury is becoming less visible by the day and it could’ve been far worse had my friends and the doctors not done the things they did to help.

‘It’s very possible if the burns had gone deeper I could’ve been blinded.’

Lynn Baird's eye showing the extent of the burn. See SWNS story SWSCeye. A reveller was lucky not to be blinded when wax from a sky lantern fell in her eye and nearly entirely eroded her cornea at a party in a field. Lynn Baird, 27, was helping a friend release a lantern at a party on May 22 when a wax cube fell into her right eye - causing 80 percent erosion to her cornea and second-degree skin burns. English teacher Lynn, from Broxburn in West Lothian but now living in the Czech Republic near Brno, was left in agony as the wax left her unable to open her right eye ? and she would have been blinded if the burns had gone any deeper. Medics told her it was a ?miracle? her sight remains intact.
Lynn was left in agony as the wax left her unable to open her eye (Picture: Lynn Baird/SWNS)
Lynn Baird's eye showing it starting to heal. See SWNS story SWSCeye. A reveller was lucky not to be blinded when wax from a sky lantern fell in her eye and nearly entirely eroded her cornea at a party in a field. Lynn Baird, 27, was helping a friend release a lantern at a party on May 22 when a wax cube fell into her right eye - causing 80 percent erosion to her cornea and second-degree skin burns. English teacher Lynn, from Broxburn in West Lothian but now living in the Czech Republic near Brno, was left in agony as the wax left her unable to open her right eye ? and she would have been blinded if the burns had gone any deeper. Medics told her it was a ?miracle? her sight remains intact.
Lynn’s eye is already starting to heal (Picture: Lynn Baird/SWNS)

Lynn said the lanterns ‘are dangerous for many reasons’ and urged anyone using them ‘to be really careful’.

She said: ‘They’re not always properly made and to be honest, I’m glad it was me who ended up injured, rather than a child, a friend, or an animal.

‘The lanterns are dangerous for many reasons, they can start fires and are dangerous for the environment.

‘They’re not just an innocent party piece. Don’t make the same mistake that I did.

‘I won’t be using one again personally, that’s for sure and I’d strongly suggest others do the same.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Related posts

Young driver kidnapped at knifepoint then held captive for a day

admin

Man, 35, is battered to death in quiet street as six boys aged between 16 and 17 are arrested for murder

admin

Earthquake measuring 2.9 on Richter scale hit England/Wales border – as homeowners feared cars had crashed into houses

admin

Leave a Comment